San Francisco: My Canh (Revisited)

After scoring a Lugia and failing to capture an Articuno (whereas my poor sister was zero for two), we found ourselves wandering around Chinatown.  We didn't really have a destination in mind, but we were in the vicinity of My Canh and I'd always wanted to go again, so I suggested it for a late lunch/early dinner.

Given the awkward hour, we were the only customers inside.  The only other occupied table was taken by My Canh staff having lunch.

I'd only been to My Canh once before and T did all the ordering that time.  I wanted my sister to try their famous crab udon or banh can cua, but I couldn't find it on the menu.  Turns out it's not on the menu at all.  You just have to ask for it:


We toyed with the idea of sharing one bowl.  Only for a millisecond though.  Then we guffawed (love that word) and ordered two, one for each of us.  That goopy soup!  Those chunks of crab!  Those slippery noodles!  Too good to share.  (Though I did give my sister my block of pork blood.  I'm not s huge fan of that.)

T told me about My Canh's beef carpaccio or bo tai chanh, but she didn't order it when we went.  I wanted to rectify that mistake.  Also not on the menu, it took a bit of describing to order it:


I can't.  I just can't.  I almost wept at its majesty.

It deserves a close up:


I have never seen a more beauteous plate.  Just look at those thin slices of raw beef.  The fish sauce and lime juice the beef came soaking in was tangy and refreshing.  The basil, peanuts, pickled onions, and fried shallots added a bit of texture and a giant wallop of flavor.

Easily one of the best things I've eaten all year.

The problem with ordering off-menu is not knowing what the price tag is until you ask for the check.  For two bowls of noodles and that plate of beef, we forked over around $50.  The noodle was around $15 each and the beef around $20.

Not cheap for a grungy hole in the wall.  But worth it?

Yes.  Oh, yes.

Just take my money, My Canh.  TAKE IT ALL.


My Canh
626 Broadway
San Francisco, CA 94133
(415) 397-8888

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!