San Francisco: Souvla

For VN's birthday last year, we met up in the city at Souvla for dinner to celebrate along with SY:


It was a Friday evening and the place was pretty quiet when we arrived:


Just an hour later, the line went out the door.  Luckily, we missed the crush and were able to place our order at the counter and find a table with little fuss.

The three of us split an order of Greek fries ($5):


It came tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, and mizithra cheese.

SY and VN each ordered the Mary's free range chicken salad ($14):


The salad contained fennel, navel orange, pickled red onion, pea shoots, mizithra cheese, and "Granch" dressing (whatever that is).

I, on the other hand, got the Snake River Farms pork shoulder salad ($13):


Much meatier than the chicken salad, this one had minted Greek yogurt, cherry tomatoes, picked red onion, cucumber, and feta cheese.

We could have ordered the salads as wraps instead, but eating it in a bowl was much more appealing than picking up a wrap.  Anyone who knows me knows that salads are not my thing.  Except when they come in the form of poke...or potato.  But the salads at Souvla were actually freakin' delicious.  I thought I would like the pork salad more, but I actually found the chicken one to be bright and almost refreshing.  Both were super filling.

It's not a birthday dinner without dessert.  We ended the night with Souvla's frozen Greek yogurt.  We got the baklava crumbles and honey syrup as well as the olive oil and sea salt (both $5):


If you enjoy yogurt, this is for you.  It was certainly very...yogurt-y.  A bit too yogurt-y for moi.  The olive oil one was interesting to say the least.  I appreciated the experience, but I would stick to the baklava one if I go back again.

And I would definitely not hesitate to go back to Souvla again.  Bring on the salads!


Souvla
517 Hayes St
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 400-5458

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!