Santa Cruz: Cowboy's Corner Cafe

My dad's cousin's daughter (I've never been able to figure out all that cousin how many times removed stuff, so I'm just going to refer to her as my cousin) visited us from Taiwan for a month back in June.  She spent most of her time here hanging with my parents, doing ordinary everyday things like grocery shopping and cooking.  When we weren't eating at home though, we tried to introduce her to cuisines that are uncommon to find in Taiwan, such as Ethiopian and Greek and Afghan.

And then we found out that her favorite type of food is actually diner food.  Guh.  Well, that's easy enough.

Over the Fourth of July weekend, we went down to Gizdich Ranch in Watsonville for berry picking.  We gave it a go, but lost interest fairly quickly after discovering that the strawberries were tiny and the olallieberries not very sweet.  On to Cowboy's Corner Cafe we went:


CK, who went with us, was sadly very carsick.  Like the good friends we are, we let her rest in the car while the rest of us headed in for brunch:


Yea, we're really considerate that way.

While CK was suffering in the car, my mother was enjoying the chaps ($10.50):


It consisted of two scrambled eggs, sliced ham, home fried potatoes, and a choice of toast, tortillas, biscuit, or muffin.  My mother went with toast:


My sister and I split the Barrets favorite ($10.99), which was two biscuits smothered in homemade gravy accompanied by two eggs and two pieces of bacon:


And the wagon ($10.75):


Hidden under the pile of two eggs, avocado, cheese, and salsa was grilled sourdough bread.  This was definitely an open faced sandwich that required a knife and fork.

For my father, we ordered him the cowboy omelette ($11.75), which was stuffed with bacon, ham, and cheese:


For his choice of carb, we asked for a muffin and was pleasantly surprised to hear that the muffin of the day was zucchini:


(I didn't get a photo of my cousin's plate because she was a guest and I didn't want to delay her meal.) 

Cowboy's Corner Cafe was exactly the kind of traditional diner that my cousin wanted to experience, just with a Tex-Mex flair.  The atmosphere was cozy, the service brisk, and the food both generous in portion and hearty in taste. 

I doubt I'll have many opportunities to go to Watsonville, but if I'm ever in the area again, I wouldn't think twice about going back to Cowboy's Corner Cafe. 

Those potatoes were bomb.


Cowboy's Corner Cafe
946 Main St
Watsonville, CA 95076
(831) 761-8996
http://www.cowboycornercafe.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!