San Francisco: Kusina Ni Tess

The American Immigration Lawyers Association conference this summer happened to take place in San Francisco, which was super convenient for me as I really needed the CLE credits.  The most fun part of the conference was figuring out where to eat for lunch with some of my favorite immigration ladies.

On the first day, a group of us went to Halal Guys around the corner.  On the second day, VG, NW, and I found this little hole in the wall across the street from the hotel where the conference was held:


Kusina Ni Tess turned out to be this little Filipino joint that consisted of a cafeteria-style counter and a couple tables:


You just look down and point at what seems to be the most delicious:


As VG is Filipina and thus an expert on Filipino cuisine, we let her do all the ordering.

I'd never even heard of a tortang talong ($4.50) before:


Essentially an eggplant omelette, the peeled eggplant is dipped in eggs and fried into this simple yet delicious side.

My absolute favorite discovery was the pork ear sisig ($10 for a small):


The texture and flavor combo was amazing.  Simultaneously crunchy and fatty as well as a little sour with a bit of a kick, it was everything I never knew I was missing in my life.

The kare kare was this thick peanuty stew with large hunks of meat:


What really makes the dish is the pungent shrimp paste you have to eat the it with:


Everything was paired with garlic rice ($2.50):


I haven't had much exposure to Filipino food until this year, but now my curiosity has been activated and I am ready to try everything.  Everything!

Kusina Ni Tess is exactly the type of restaurant I love.  Hole in the wall.  Disposable plates.  No fussy service, just fantastic, fantastic food.  I'm already trying to figure out when I can squeeze in another trip.


Kusina Ni Tess
237 Ellis St
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 351-1169
http://www.kusinanitess.net/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!