SF Peninsula: Chibog

Have you noticed something different about the blog recently?

...

No?  It's okay, take a look now and see if you can spot it.

...

Still nothing?  Um...no worries, it's pretty subtle.  Instead of me being all by my lonesome, my sister Abby has joined the fray!  We have created a new joint Instagram account called @NoShameAdventures and as the younger, more tech-inclined No Shame Sister, she will be managing that endeavor.  As for yours truly, I'll still be slowly updating this blog like the dinosaur that I am.  If you haven't already, please check out our Instagram and give us a follow!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

As part of my quest to introduce my cousin to as many different cuisines as possible, my family took her (and CK, who was crashing with us at the time until her new house was ready for move in) to Chibog:


It was our first time as well, but we'd heard about the wait.  Luckily, it didn't turn out too bad.  We managed to squeeze our party of six into the corner by the door and gazed wistfully at the diners until a table finally opened up:


There were so many things on the menu that sounded amazing, so we had to work hard to restrain ourselves.  Not sure we completely succeeded, but we certainly tried!

We were brought two sauces at the start:


Not clear what they were, but one was distinctly fishy/shrimpy.  I stuck mostly with that one.

What I was most excited about was the bangus sisig ($15.50):


The shredded bangus or milkfish was mixed with onions and jalapenos.  Its slight spiciness and sourness went paired perfectly with rice.

For my noodle fanatic mother, we got the pancit palabok ($11.95):


The uber thin rice noodles were cooked in shrimp sauce along with ground pork and topped with ground fried pork rinds, smoked fish flakes, and a hard-boiled egg.

The lechon kawali ($11.95) or deep fried pork belly was my second favorite:


I just couldn't have a lot of it.

We also got the classic kare kare ($16.95) with oxtail and tripe in peanut sauce:


This turned out to be my least favorite of the night.  The flavor profile was just a bit flat to me.  Not even the shrimp paste could jazz it up.

The sinigang with short ribs ($14.25) on the other hand, was delicious in its tamarind tanginess:


For the table, we got a bowl of garlic rice ($6.25):


Though I probably ate most of it, rice addict that I am.

Everyone had a great time at Chibog.  Service was friendly, atmosphere was casual, and the food was amazing.  Even my father enjoyed it and he's not the most adventurous of eaters when it comes to trying new cuisines.  I would definitely go back again.  There are many more things on the menu that I want to try!


Chibog
2055 Gellert Blvd #5
Daly City, CA 94015
(650) 878-3591
http://www.chibogrestaurant.com/index.html

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!