New Orleans: Cafe du Monde

With some time to kill before our dinner reservations, we found ourselves browsing through a nearby mall in which we inadvertently stumbled across a Cafe du Monde:


We could've resisted and waited until we went to the original location in the French Market, but where's the fun in that?  My sister the powdered sugar fiend certainly wasn't about to say no to getting beignets (3 for $2.73) more than once:


In fact, we went to the original Cafe du Monde the very next day


At nearly noon on a Wednesday, there was absolutely no wait for a table:


One of the things we noticed right away was that 97% of the servers were Vietnamese.  Loved it.  It brought us right back to the Bay. 

My sister and CK both got a cafe au lait.  While I typically don't drink coffee, I couldn't go all the way to Cafe du Monde and not order one.  I figured a frozen cafe au lait ($5) would be close enough:


Of course we got more beignets (also 3 for $2.73).  We ended up getting two orders for the three of us:


I'm not that crazy about powdered sugar, so I ate one and let CK and my sister kill the rest.  My sister went a step beyond that and started eating the remaining piles of powdered sugar with a spoon.

WITH A SPOON.

...I did not raise her to be this way.

Cafe du Monde is as touristy as you think it is.  The lines can be ridiculous and service can leave much to be desired.  Despite all that, you really do need to go to the French Market location at least once when you're visiting NOLA.  It's that iconic.  I mean, come on.  It's open 24/7!

But if you want a second round, head to one of the branch stores instead for your powdered sugar fix.  (We all know nobody eats beignets for the dough.  They're really just vehicles for powdered sugar...am I right?)


Cafe du Monde
http://www.cafedumonde.com/

French Market Location
800 Decatur St
New Orleans, LA 70116
(504) 525-4544

500 Port of New Orleans, Suite 27
New Orleans, LA 70130
(504) 218-7993

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!