Greece: Miscellaneous

We've finally reached the end!  The end of my Greek posts, that is.  Which, as you've probably suspected, means a massive miscellaneous dump of all the leftover things that I couldn't make into their own individual posts. 

...Because I'm lazy.

One of our earliest finds in Greece was the ubiquitous supermarket Sklavenitis:


Think of it as the Safeway of Greece.  We made a grocery store run for fruit, juice, snacks, and breakfast goodies just about every two days or so.

I always like to check out the chip selection of countries I visit.  To my great disappointment, the options in Greece weren't all that exciting. Beyond the typical sour cream and onion and barbecue, the only interesting flavors were oregano:


And this salt and pepper with lemon:


For some reason, I always gravitate toward juice while I'm traveling:


Maybe because it's usually cheaper abroad than back at home. 

An easy breakfast for us was pita and tzatziki:


But more delicious than that was this pre-made toast paired with Greek honey:


At first, I was skeptical.  I've never been a huge fan of honey straight up and I thought the toast would be brick hard.  I was wrong.  Greek honey is freakin' amazing.  It just tastes different.  And the toast?  Super light and crisp.  I loved this combo so much that I brought it back with me as a gift for my friends.

We kept hearing about this thing called halva.  Curious, we entered a random dessert store:


There was an entire display counter filled with various flavors of halva:


We went for the pistachio:


Typically made with tahini or semolina, halva is this crumbly dessert that feels like powder compressed into a giant block.  It almost melts upon contact with your tongue. 

We almost missed out on my absolute favorite discovery in Greece.  While souvenir shopping, the store clerk kept giving us free samples as skillful store clerks are wont to do.  As we were checking out, she tried to offer us some dried figs after having already offered us some pistachios.  I tried to turn her down, but she was very persistent.  I acquiesced, however I had no intention of buying more than what I had already picked out.

Then I took a bite...and immediately dropped two packages of the stuff in my basket.  Well done, store clerk.  Well done.

The nicely packaged figs were meant to be taken home to the States, so we went to a dried goods stall outside Varvakeios market to get some that we could eat immediately:


There were different kinds of dried figs.  Kalamata figs, the ones we wanted, were the most expensive at over 8€ per kilo.  (Probably because they're the yummiest.)  We bought a kilo thinking that it would last us a while.  Hah!  We only had a few left by the time we got back to our Airbnb.

With no clever transition at all, so ends my series of posts from Greece.  Whew!  It was an amazing trip.  My sister and I were tempted to leave my father behind a couple times (even though the point of the entire vacation was to celebrate my father's 60th birthday), but our family ultimately survived intact. 

Thank goodness. 

It may be a while before I attempt another international family trip though.  Heh.

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!