Japan: Sora Kara

After we checked into our Airbnb apartment in the early afternoon, CK took a nap while I did a speedy walk-through of Nijo Castle.  Before that, however, I made a pit stop at Daiso to help my mother look for these garden hooks she wanted. 

There was no way I could describe the hooks in Japanese, so I just showed the clerk the photo that my mother had so kindly texted me beforehand.  The clerk was flummoxed by the hooks (at least that's the impression I got from her facial expression) and though I couldn't understand 98% of what she was saying, the 2% I could understand was all apologies. 

Which of course made me feel like I had to apologize for burdening her with my mother's crazy errand.  She bowed, I bowed, and then I escaped.  After that, I had to hoof it to the castle to get there before they stopped admission at 4:00pm.

For dinner that night, CK and I didn't have anything planned.  Instead, we walked around the neighborhood until we found something that caught our eye:


Sora Kara is about as hole-in-the-wall as a place can get.  There's just a window and take-out is your only option.  We were won over by the mouthwatering fragrance of fried chicken wafting through the night...and by the crowd of people waiting outside.

The menu was in Japanese, but we were able to make an educated guess thanks to my Chinese skills and the Google translate app.

We got one kobe beef croquette (100 yen or $1)


Our biggest regret was not buying more.  If I could go back in time, I would tell my stupid past self to trust my gut and order three per person.  So crisp!  So savory!  Why didn't we buy more than one?!

The A set was advertised as being enough for two people:


At 1000 yen or $10, it included around a dozen pieces of  delicious fried chicken wings smothered in some kind of sticky sweet sauce.  Japanese people must have smaller appetites than Americans, because we definitely could have eaten more than that.  I was tempted to walk back for more, but then laziness and self preservation prevailed. 

Next time, Sora Kara.  Next time.


空とぶからあげ
京都市中京区壬生坊城町1
+81 75-802-5277

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!