Japan: Saryo Tsujiri

Kyoto is all about matcha (powdered green tea) and for those of you who don't know me, I have a very contentious relationship with matcha.  I don't like it.  At all.  It's just so bitter and unpalatable and I don't understand why people like it so much.

Even so, I knew I couldn't leave Kyoto without hitting up one of its matcha dessert shops.  So of my own volition, I brought CK to Saryo Tsujiri:


Stick downstairs if you're just looking for a matcha ice cream cone or some sweets to buy as gifts.  But if you're looking for the full café experience, head upstairs.

Everything on the menu was basically matcha, matcha, matcha.  Or at least that's what all the pictures seemed to suggest.  All the text was in Japanese, so we made our decisions based on what looked visually appealing. 

The Tsujiri parfait seemed most basic:


At 1178 yen (around $11.78), this monster included matcha whipped cream, matcha jelly, and matcha ice cream, as well as candied chestnuts, red beans, vanilla ice cream, and hojicha (roasted green tea) jelly.  And other stuff that I couldn't read in Japanese. 

As if that wasn't enough matcha, we also got a cup of straight matcha (540 yen or around $5.40) and the Tsujiri anmitsu (1080 yen or around $10.80):


Anmitsu is a Japanese dessert that's essentially agar jelly served with fruit, red beans, and a sugar syrup.  The one at Tsujiri also comes with matcha jelly, candied chestnut, and a scoop of ice cream.  We went with hojicha ice cream, which was the best decision we made in that place.  I gave everything a try, but I ultimately focused on just the ice cream, red bean, and fruit. 

That cup of super strong matcha?  Pass.  That's the kind of stuff that'll make hair grow on your chest.

Saryo Tsujiri isn't the cheapest place for a sweet fix, but it's worth it for matcha lovers...and probably for Instagrammers as well.  It was matcha heaven for CK, and matcha hell for me.  A very photogenic hell, but hell all the same.


茶寮 都路里 祇園本店
京都府東山区四条通祇園町南側573-3 祇園辻利本店 2F・3F
+81 75 561 2257
http://www.giontsujiri.co.jp/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!