Taiwan: 108 Matcha Saro

There was some time to kill before we had to meet up with my parents, so the three of us decided to check out the SOGO department store's food court.  When we got there, we noticed a huge line wrapped arond this counter:


My sister and I didn't think too much of it.  We went off to watch the Din Tai Fung dmpling makers work their magic through the giant window to the restaurant kitchen.  When we thought to look back, we discovered CK already in long line.  We asked her what we wanted to get and she said she had no clue.  She saw a line and just got into it.

That's so typical CK.

I walked around to the other side of the counter and noticed that everything was matcha.  Matcha jelly, matcha ice cream, matcha cake, matcha, matcha, matcha.

Did I mention that I hate matcha?  Remember, I have the taste buds of a 6 year old.  Bitter things make me go blehhhh.

But then I saw this:


Now, I'm a sucker for obanyaki (also called imagawayaki), but I don't actually like them all that much.  How does that work, you ask?  Well, they always smell so good, which makes me want one.  But when I actually bite into one, I'm never particularly impressed.  The problem with obanyaki for me is that they smell better than they taste.

But that still doesn't stop me from buying them.

Apparently CK is the same.  Well, that or the English menu highlighted the obanyaki as being most popular.  CK ordered the matcha green tea obanyaki (45 NT or around $1.50):


With red bean filling:


And the regular obanyaki (40 NT or slightlly over $1):


With matcha cream filling:


I'm still not a lover of matcha and I still don't crave obanyaki unless I smell it, but even I can admit that the obanyaki at 108 Matcha Saro were interesting and differet from what you typically find.

If you like all things matcha or if you like to watch people brand pastry goods (so cool!), you should definitely check out 108 Matcha Saro.


一〇八抹茶茶廊
台北市忠孝東路三段300号B2F
02-2772-2108
http://www.108matcha-saro.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!