San Francisco: Arizmendi Bakery

My office observed Cesar Chavez Day last Friday.  Well, everyone from my office did except my supervisor and myself.  We had to work a workshop that day, so instead I got to take today off.  This actually worked out better for me since it allowed me to pick up my sister from San Francisco.

And make a side trip to Arizmendi Bakery:


I wanted to get my uncle in Taiwan something to thank him for helping me with my upcoming trip to Japan.

Oh yea, did I mention that I'm hitting up Japan after Taiwan?  Well, I am.  And I'm freakin' excited.

Anyway, back to my uncle.  I asked my mother what my uncle liked.  All she could think of was bread.  Ooookay...bread it is.

Now, Taiwan has a lot of great bakeries, as my mother has repeatedly reminded me via texted photos from Taipei.  I get that.  But I figured it would be nice to bring my uncle some bread that can't be found in Taiwan.  Ideally, I wanted to get bread from Boudin or Tartine.  But I'm also lazy and Arizmendi is closer to my sister's place.

Arizmendi has all the hippie vibes you would expect from a cooperative bakery:


Even though our purpose was to buy bread for my uncle, we couldn't help making some purchases for ourselves.  Like this breadstick ($1.75):


It was crackly and savory and just amazing.

We also got ourselves a slice of the daily pizza ($2.75):


The pizza at Arizmendi changes every day.  You can check the pizza menu ahead of time on their website.  Today's pizza was tomato, arugula, manchego cheese, and garlic oil.  Sounds simple and it was, but all the ingredients tasted so fresh.  And that sourdough crust?  Magic.

My sister couldn't resist the chocolate mint cookie ($2.25):


I can't blame her.  That cookie and super chocolatey and decadent.  I wish I had a glass of milk to go with it.

For my uncle, we got some suggestions from someone who worked at Arizmendi for baked goods that would freeze and travel well.  Based on her recommendations, we got the scone of the day,  strawberry ($3), and a corn cherry one ($2.75):


Arizmendi also offers different specialty breads on different days.  Friday boasts challah ($6):


And chocolate babka ($10):


Obviously, I haven't tried any of these yet, but based on what we did eat from Arizmendi, I'm sure the scones and the breads will be awesome.

I just have to figure out a way to hand the gift over to my uncle...and then ask for a bite of each.


Arizmendi Bakery
1331 9th Ave
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 566-3117
http://www.arizmendibakery.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!