Orange County: Cream Pan

I'm finally on to post-Peru posts!  Hooray!  For a while there, I wasn't sure this day would ever come.

I still have a lot of catching up to do though.  So here goes.

Over the last weekend of July, my sister and I headed down to SoCal for a friend's wedding.  We made a family trip out of it and spent all our time outside the wedding introducing our parents to come of our favorite restaurants, such as Quan Hy and Brodard and Porto's.  We have so many favorites that we didn't try many new places.

Of course, we went to Meet Fresh more than once.  We just can't seem to help ourselves.  We even made a Meet Fresh stop in-between our friend's wedding ceremony and reception.  It's a sickness, really.

At the reception, we got a recommendation from a friend about a good bakery to try.  So on our last day in SoCal, my sister and I took a little side trip to Cream Pan:


It seemed kind of in the middle of nowhere, but the place was bustling:


Cream Pan is a Japanese bakery and two of its most popular items are the azuki cream ($2.30) and the strawberry croissant ($1.40):


The strawberry croissant was exactly what it looked like: a croissant stuffed with custard and strawberry slices.  Freakin' amazing.  Light.  Flaky.  Heavenly.  I could eat half a dozen in one sitting.

The azuki cream was a flaky puff filled with whipped cream and red bean paste:


Not overly sweet, but a bit too much whipped cream for my tastes.

My friend at the wedding recommended the Boston donut ($1.80):


My sister and I weren't such fans.  The chocolate shell was a tad too hard and completely detached from the donut once we cut into it:


The donut itself was a little oily and less fluffy than I would have liked.

For a savory balance, we also got the baked chicken curry pan ($2):


Definitely lots of curry chicken inside:


I usually prefer savory to sweet, but at Cream Pan, the strawberry croissant rules over all.  Go.  Brave the line (don't worry, the staff is super efficient so it moves quickly).  Get a box.  Get two boxes.  Bring it to work and bask in the adoration of your colleagues.

Or screw your coworkers and just eat them all yourself.  I won't judge.


Cream Pan
602 El Camino Real
Tustin, CA 92780
(714) 665-8239
http://www.creampanbakery.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!