South Bay: BonChon Chicken

Ok.  I'm an idiot.  Let me just get that out of the way first.

I know I said that my previous post would be my last one before my Peru trip.  But I posted that before I realized I had more photos on my phone from other food outings.

Oops.

Since my goal is to be all caught up before Peru, here's we go.

Last Saturday, I dragged my family up to San Francisco to volunteer at yet another one of my work events.  The original plan was to have dinner at House of Prime Rib after the workshop to celebrate Father's Day.  Except I totally forgot to make reservations until it was way too late.

Sorry, Dad.  My bad.

Instead, because my dad is a fried chicken fanatic, my sister and I took him to BonChon:


On our way there, we called up my dad's cousin, who agreed to meet us at the restaurant with her son.

We arrived a bit before my dad's cousin.  While we were perusing the menu, our server repeatedly came by our table, asking whether he could take our order even after we told him we wanted to wait for the rest of our party.  Then, the second my dad's cousin sat down, the server appeared tableside asking to take our order.  A tad annoyed, we sent him away once again.

To start off, we got the zucchini fries ($6.99):


The breading was nice and thick and the fries came with ranch dressing and what tasted like sirarcha mayo.

We also got the seasoned curly fries ($4.99), which were super garlicky:


For the six of us, we got a medium order of wings with spicy hot garlic sauce (10 pieces for $11.59):


And a large order of wings with soy garlic sauce (20 pieces for $19.99):


The medium came with pickled radish and the choice of one side.  We got the regular coleslaw.  The large also came with picked radish, but the choice of two sides instead of just one.  We got the kimchi coleslaw and biscuits.

The sides weren't all that great to me.  The chicken, on the other hand, was delicious.  Or at least they were so while they were still hot.  Once they cooled down however...meh.  The spicy sauce was a bit too spicy for me, so I stuck primarily with the regular soy garlic wings.

We left BonChon satisfied, but not exactly impressed.  The food was alright, but the service was a bit lacking.  Not that the servers were rude or anything like that.  They were just really...young.

Would I go back to BonChon?  Probably not.  For Korean fried chicken, my favorite place remains Crisp in Chicago.


BonChon
572 E El Camino Real
Sunnyvale, CA 94087
(408) 720-8689
http://us.bonchon.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!