Chicago: Medici on 57th

My roommate came home with a sudden craving for a burger and being the enabler that I am (social work-y term, woot!), I quasi-talked her into eating out. She didn't need much convincing. The problem with deciding to eat out is figuring out where to eat out at. Sadly, Hyde Park isn't exactly overflowing with options. We couldn't think of anywhere else to get a burger except at Medici (McDonald's was too far):



My roommate and I make a good pair because we're basically on the same page when it comes to eating strategies: namely SHARE EVERYTHING. Which is how we figured we would be justified in ordering an appetizer:



Onion rings could be soooo good...but these fell soooo flat. No crunch at all. It just tasted greasy and soggy and so very disappointing.

The garbage burger sounded most appealing to us:



That burger was loaded with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, cheddar, bacon, onions (both raw and sautéed), and jalapeños, with a side of BBQ sauce.

Here's a cross section view:



Not the best burger I've ever had, but it certainly did the trick. My one complaint would be the shoestring fries. I generally don't like shoestring fries to begin with, but these were fried to the point of being more like potato chips and weren't enjoyable to eat at all. All they did was set off a fierce craving for carne asada fries. Sigh...I can't wait for winter break.

People kept telling me to try the Mexicana shake, so when my roommate was wavering over whether or not to get dessert, I pulled out my handy enabling skills again and cajoled her into ordering one:



It tasted like vanilla. Maybe it was just an off day. My roommate, who's had it before (and loved it), claimed that it was nothing like what she had in the past. Well, great, just my luck.

Medici is not my favorite Hyde Park haunt, but I suppose it's decent enough.


Medici on 57th
1327 57th St
Chicago, IL 60637
(773) 667-7394

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!