Modesto: Mr. T's Delicate Donut

In February, Abby, UK, T, and I went on a little road trip to Yosemite and Seki. On the way there, we stopped at Mr. T's for donuts at T's request.  (No, our friend T is not related to the owners.)  T had been talking about Mr. T's for years.  According to her, there are no better donuts around.

Skeptical yet hopeful, we pulled into their parking lot:


Since our car was loaded with luggage and rental snow gear, we made sure to park it where it was visible from inside the donut shop.

Upon entering, we found an impressive display of donuts:


There were just so many to choose from!:


We probably should have selected one for each of us, but that's not what ended up happening:


Abby is a sucker for French crullers ($1.65), whereas I always tend to go for the regular glazed ($1.25).  T wanted to try a cronut, or as Mr. T calls it, a croissnut ($2.65).  And UK got himself a guava jelly filled ($1.65):


Not in the box was this giant blueberry fritter ($1.85) that we all took bites of before I remembered that I should take a photo:


Packed with blueberry flavor, the fritter was large and dense and way too much for one person to eat.

When I read "devil's wisp" on a label, I knew I had to get one ($1.85).  It looked like a regular braid from the outside, but it was filled with chocolate:


I want to say that turned out to be my favorite one.

Just for kicks and giggles, we also got a Bavarian cream donut ($1.65):


I have two pet peeves when it comes to donuts: 1) when they have strong yeast flavor and 2) when you can taste the oil.  The donuts at Mr. T were fine on the first, but got dinged on the second.  But since that could just be just that particular batch, I won't hold it against them.

In all honesty, I don't really understand why T loves Mr. T's so much.  I guess I don't really see how they're different from most other donut shops.  However, I do love the mom-and-pop feel as well as the variety of donuts offered.  I just wouldn't go out of my way to stop by.

Sorry, T.  I'm willing to give them another chance though!


Mr. T's Delicate Donut Shop
3507 Tully Rd # 330
Modesto, CA 95356
(209) 522-1614

Comments

  1. As close and good as Winchels was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think these are like regular donut shops, your in wrong place. Mr.T is top notch flavor,texture bread. Thin and light delicious.Not over doughy
    Tried em all not a bad one yet.easy for me to come out with 2 doz. Donuts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!