Japan: Shirohige's Cream Puff Factory

I am not ashamed to admit that sometimes the cuteness factor outweighs the deliciousness factor.  Very rarely, mind you.  But it's been known to happen.

Such was the case with Shirohige's Cream Puff Factory:


Did I really want to eat a cream puff?  Not really.  But did I want to buy one shaped like Totoro?  Abso-freaking-lutely.

The Kichijoji branch of Shirohige's Cream Puff Factory is a small shop with essentially just enough room to fit three or four people at a time:


The moment I stepped inside, I had a mini mental freak out because I spotted none other than Hayao Miyazaki's brother in the back.  There was no mistaking it.  The resemblance was uncanny.

Or perhaps not, since they are actually related.

His presence made sense though, as his wife is the founder and owner of the little bakery.  Hence why they are the only bakery with official permission to make all these Totoro-themed desserts.  The main shop is located in the Setagaya Ward and includes a cafe upstairs.  This little branch in Kichijoji, though much smaller, is just as charming.

I mean, how adorable are these?!:


The Totoro-shaped cream puffs came in various flavors (some seasonal), each designated by a different accessory.  I was tempted to get one of each, but reason ultimately kicked in and I settled on two.  I got the custard cream with the little leaf (¥420 / $3.90) and the seasonal peach cream with the little pink bowed hat (¥460 /$4.27).

They were so cute that I almost couldn't bring myself to eat them.  CK had no such qualms and bit into them with zero hesitation:


Despite being packed full of filling, neither cream puff was overly sweet.  Instead they were airy and quite delightful.  I walked into Shirohige's Cream Puff Factory with little expectation in regards to taste, but I left pleasantly surprised.

Would it have mattered if the cream puffs were not good at all?

Nah.  As I said, sometimes cuteness trumps all.


白髭のシュークリーム工房
東京都武蔵野市吉祥寺南町2-7-5
0422-26-6550
http://www.shiro-hige.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!