Japan: Satou

The one thing I wanted to do in Tokyo was to go to the Ghibli Museum.  Getting tickets was a whole ordeal, but Jiejie happened to be visiting Okinawa the day tickets were released for September.  She was able to physically go into a Lawson and make the purchase.

I'm so glad she was there.  I was on the Ghibli Museum website at the same time Jiejie was in Lawson, but there was so much traffic on the site that I couldn't get in.  Jiejie also had to refresh the machine a few times, but she was ultimately able to finish the transaction whereas I couldn't even get to the payment page.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post.  This post is about where we went after the Ghibli Museum (which was magical, by the way).  Since it was our first time in the Kichijoji area, we set out to explore a bit.

I saw a video about Satou on Eat Your Kimchi and was intrigued.  Fried meatballs?  That's totally my thing.  As expected, the line was super long:


But it went pretty quickly.

Satou is actually a butcher's shop with a steakhouse upstairs.  But from a window on the ground floor, you can also buy a few cooked products:


I was there for the menchi-katsu, which is essentially a fried minced beef patty.  The one at Satou is shaped in a ball.  You can buy one for ¥240 ($2.21) or buy five or more and pay ¥220 ($2.03) per ball.

I totally intended to buy three, one for each of us.  But the longer I stood in line, the more I kept thinking about that discount deal.  Until when I finally reached the window, I blurted out that I wanted five.

I know!  I just can't resist a deal!  It's a fatal flaw of mine.

But just look at this cute (gigantic) meatball!:


It was piping hot and oh-so-crispy on the outside.  I was afraid it might be a bit dry inside, but that wasn't the case at all:


Meatballs can sometimes be a bit densely packed and dry.  Not Satou's menchi katsu.  Oh, no.  It was almost...dare I say it?  Fluffy.  The beef was soft and juicy and the chopped onions added a beautiful sweetness to every bite.

I'm proud of past me for buying five.  Now if only past me had also thought of buying a croquette...and a beef cutlet...and a pork cutlet...

Basically one of everything on the menu.


サトウ吉祥寺店
東京都 武蔵野市 吉祥寺本町 1-1-8
+81-422-22-3130
https://www.shop-satou.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!