San Francisco: Dumpling Kitchen

My sister always keeps an ear out for restaurants in the city that she thinks my parents might like.  Such as Dumpling Kitchen:


It certainly looked promising, given the number of people waiting for a table.

The interior was much smaller than appeared from outside:


The noodles in peanut sauce or dan dan noodles ($8.95) arrived first:


I've had lots of dan dan noodles in my life, but I've never seen this soupy:


The texture of the noodle were good, but the sauce was a tad bland.

There was a lot of hullabaloo about the green onion pancake on Yelp ($5.95):


It certainly looked like no green onion pancake I'd ever seen before.  I expected it to be fluffier or crispier.  Instead it was just very flat and...eggy.  I'll stick with my regular green onion pancake, thank you very much.

The wontons in chili oil ($8.95 for ten pieces) was a little strange as well:


I'm not sure where the chili oil went.  The wontons just tasted like they were swimming in some kind of peanut sauce.

The Chinese ham with bok choy and rice clay pot ($10.95) was a bit on the salty side:


The pan fried pork buns ($8.95 for ten) were decent:


But the best thing of the night were the fried buns with condensed milk ($3.95):


Because, duh.  Condensed milk.  Nuff said.

Overall, the entire meal fell on the meh side of the spectrum.  Nothing was abhorrently bad, but nothing was amazingly good either.  Prices were super affordable though.  And service was great.  The entire restaurant had a very homey mom and pop feel.

Would I take an out-of-town friend to Dumpling Kitchen?  Naw.  But if I was in the area and needed sustenance in a pinch, I wouldn't be opposed to popping in for a quick and cheap meal.


Dumpling Kitchen
1935 Taraval St
San Francisco, CA 94116
(415) 682-8938

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!