Oakland: Pipirin Taco Stand

When my former supervisor asked if I could house-sit for her for three weeks this July, I jumped at the opportunity to eat my way through Oakland once again.  High on my list was Pipirin, which, according to the Internet, serves the best barbacoa in the Fruitvale area.

I persuaded my sister to leave the city and hang with me for a weekend.  She met me at the Fruitvale Bart station after work on a Thursday and we followed Google Maps to a parking lot just two blocks down.  Through the chain link fence, we spotted this beautiful sight:


Not exactly a cloth napkin and silverware type of establishment.  Totally right up my alley.

My sister and I took a bit of time to devise a battle strategy.  There were so many things we wanted to try.  Should we get tacos or tostadas?  But what about tortas?  Surely we should get a torta?  We ultimately decided to play it conservative.  Since it was our first time, we wanted to taste the meats straight.  Tacos it was.

We placed our order with the woman patrolling the front and then perched on some plastic chairs to wait:


It didn't take long at all for our food to be ready.  We got the small consome de barbacoa without meat ($2.50):


Definitely on the salty side, but with lime?  Whoo, baby.

Since Pipirin is known for its barbacoa, we figured we probably wouldn't want to share.  So we got two barbacoa tacos:


Holy shit.  How many ways are there to say FREAKIN' DELICIOUS?  Super juicy and super flavorful, we were instant fans.

We also got a taco each of pierna (pork leg) and chicharron:


I didn't think it would be possible, but the pierna was EVEN MORE DELICIOUS.  It had a hint of sweetness that was completely unexpected, but so very welcome.

The chicharron was a surprise as well.  I guess I pictured the chicharron to come fried and crispy.  Instead, it was stewed and chewy.  It was in no way bad, but it sadly paled in comparison to the pierna and barbacoa.

Tacos at Pipirin cost $3, which might be a bit pricier than most taco trucks in Oakland, but in Pipirin's defense, they are a bit bigger.  And let's not forget delicious.  In my humble opinion, they're worth it.

So worth it that my sister and I tried to take my parents there slightly over a week later on a Sunday.  We got there around a quarter to six only to find the chain link fence locked and the staff of Pipirin closing up shop.

We were gutted.  Simply gutted.

Obviously, business hours differ from weekday to weekend, but the Internet has been frustratingly useless in figuring out exactly what those hours are.  Does anyone know?  The last thing I want is to go when it's closed...or in the process of closing.

I don't think my heart can handle the disappointment again.


Pipirin Taco Stand
34th Ave & Farnam St
Oakland, CA 94620

Comments

  1. Great description. This business has been around for more than 25 years!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!