San Francisco: Lam Hoa Thuan

My family has a new favorite place to get dinner when we take my sister back to the city.  It is now my goal for us to become regulars there.

My parents and my sister discovered Lam Hoa Thuan without me.  My father can't resist roast duck, so I can see what first drew his eye:


You know you're in a legit Asian place when there are menu items written on 8x11 paper posted on the wall and when most of the tables are filled by middle age/elderly Asians:


We've been to Lam Hoa Thuan a few times now and my sister, my mother, and I always get a glass of hot soy milk ($0.99) each:


I don't know how the servers carry the glasses over with their bare hands.  Those things are HOT.  I love how thick the soy milk is and how there's just enough sweetness to make it delicious.

My sister and I are obsessed with gravy egg and beef over rice ($7.75):


My mother likes to try different things each time we go.  Such as the combination over rice with gravy ($7.75):


My father, on the other hand, is a creature of habit.  He always gets the roast duck with rice ($8.00):


Most of the time, he also adds soy sauce chicken.  The first thing he does is pour all of the soy sauce over the rice like a giant kid.  I can't judge though.  I would do the same thing.

The first time I was there, I tried a combination plate with BBQ pork and roast pork ($8.25 + $3):


That was some beautiful roast pork.  That skin.  Oh, that gorgeous, crackly skin.  So yum.

The second time I went, I tried the tomato beef over rice ($7.75)


I would skip this.  A little too ketchup-y for me.

Lam Hoa Thuan is everything you can expect from a good hole-in-the-wall Chinese joint.  Bomb barbeque items, goopy rice, minimal service, dirt cheap, and cash only.  It actually offers both Chinese and Vietnamese food.  I have yet to venture over to the Vietnamese side of the menu, something I plan to fix the next time I go.  There's a bun bo hue with my name on it.

I'll certainly be back, Lam Hoa Thuan.  Soon.  We're going to be regulars if it's the last thing I do!


Lam Hoa Thuan
2337 Irving St
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 661-1688

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!