Tri-City: Eden Silk Road

From stalking their friends on Facebook, my parents discovered Eden Silk Road in Fremont.  When they found out that I was going to work out of my organization's Fremont office one day, they excitedly asked if we could meet for lunch.

Uh, yea?

So after a morning of consultations, my coworker HA and I headed over to Eden Silk Road where my parents and my sister were already waiting:

The first thing we noticed when we walked in was how big the interior was:


Not pictured in the photo are the massive booths made with giant couches.  When the host asked us where we would like to sit, we made a beeline for the couches.  After scooching in, we realized we may have made a mistake.  The couches were so soft that we sank in just slightly too low to be entirely comfortable given the table height.  Also, we couldn't lean back or we would not be able to reach the table.

Don't get drawn in by the plushy couches!  Unless you have impeccable posture, in which case go right on ahead. 

When my parents saw their friend's Facebook post of Eden Silk Road, what caught their attention was a photo of the milk tea.  My father said that he could tell from the photo how strong the tea was.  So of course we had to order some.  Even though the special Uyghur milk tea was $4.95 a cup:


$4.95.  A cup.  Granted, it was delicious and there was an unexpected medley of nuts and raisins in it, but still.  $4.95!  All the pistachios and walnuts and cashews didn't seem to add any flavor, so I can only assume that they're more for decorative purposes.  And for jacking up the price.

The hot and sour soup was complimentary:


But we were there for the Uyghur cuisine, so we quickly downed the soup and moved it aside.

We ordered the goshnan ($11.95), which was a fried bread with ground meat inside:


Delicious. 

The polo ($13.95) was a lamb and rice dish that was super fragrant:


The lamb slipped right off the bone.  So tender.

The da pan ji, literally "big plate of chicken", ($14.95) was just alright:


Whereas the lamb shish kebabs ($13.95) were so, so, so soft and well seasoned:


My favorite though, was the lamb on crispy naan ($14.95):
















It was basically cumin lamb stir fried with fried pieces of naan.  Fried.  Naan.  Sounds oily, yes, but it was everything I never knew I needed in my life.  The naan wasn't crouton-like.  Instead, it was crispy, yet soft at the same time.  I didn't even need the lamb in the dish.  And I love lamb.

If you've never had Uyghur cuisine, definitely check out Eden Silk Road.  The food is fantastic, but it's a bit on the pricey side.  But here's a tip.  If you go on a weekday between 11:00am and 2:30pm, you get 20% off your bill.  Score! 

Eden Silk Road, I'll be back.  I might even be tempted to take a comp day just so I can go on a weekday for lunch.  Heh.


Eden Silk Road
39144 Paseo Padre Pkwy
Fremont, CA 94538
(510) 505-9255

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!