New York: Pies 'n' Thighs

The conference started at 1:30pm on a Sunday, which gave me more than enough time to get in some good photographs on the Brooklyn Bridge (before the swarm of tourists could get there) and also swing by Pies 'n' Thighs for brunch.  A friend had recommended it to me years back when I was still living in Chicago.  I've been to New York a few times in-between, but just never had the chance to make it out to Brooklyn.  I was determined to make it happen this time around, even if it felt awkward as hell going alone.

Pies 'n' Thighs opens at 10:00am on weekends.  I was standing outside by 9:30.  I wasn't the only one either:


Being third in line meant that I was able to immediately be seated the minute the restaurant opened.  Thank goodness for that.  The place was pretty small, with maybe enough tables to seat 8 parties:


If I'd arrived just 20 minutes later, I would have had to wait for second round.

As it was, I was directed to a table right next to the donut display:


Which meant I had to order one, of course.  At the recommendation of my server, I got the butter pecan crunch ($3):


Um.  Hello.  That was one delightful donut.  Subtly sweet, with a nice crunch outside, and insanely soft inside.  I ate a third of it before I realized I should stop otherwise I wouldn't be able to eat the rest of my meal.

That's what sucks about eating alone.  You end up having to decide between ordering only what you can realistically handle or over-ordering even though you know you won't be able to finish just to be able to try multiple things.

I fixed my dilemma by giving the rest of my donut to a nice couple visiting from out of town who I chatted with a bit while waiting outside.  They later ordered another donut for themselves and offered to give me first bite, but I was too stuffed by then to even consider it.

Even though it did look delicious.  Sigh.

I made myself stop eating the donut because I knew this was coming:


The chicken biscuit ($7.50) at Pies 'n' Thighs might be their most popular item.  I wavered for a while over whether I should get it because of my dislike of hot sauce.  But then I figured I would regert it if I went all the way there and didn't try it.

I love it when I'm right.  Ordering that biscuit sandwich?  Best decision ever.  I don't even know where to start.  That buttery biscuit?  That freshly fried chicken cutlet drizzled with honey?  That hot sauce?

Ohmygawd, that hot sauce.  I can't believe I am saying this, but that sandwhich would not be as amazing as it is without that hot sauce.  And that's saying a lot because I hate hot sauce.  I don't know what kind of hot sauce Pies 'n' Thighs uses, but it's magical.  Period.

I could have used some on their cheese grits ($5):


I read good things about it on Yelp, but they were a bit bland to me.  I should just accept that 9 times out of 10, I will find grits to be a waste of stomach space.

Pies 'n' Thighs.  I strongly recommend it.  But learn from my experience and go with a friend.


Pies 'n' Thighs
166 S 4th St
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(347) 529-6090
http://piesnthighs.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!