Chicago: Superdawg Drive-In

I heard about Superdawg being a Chicago institution before I moved here and thus had it bookmarked in the back of my mind, but I never had a chance to actually go because it's so difficult to access by public transportation.  Now that I have a roommate with a car, my world is suddenly much bigger and brighter.  Food possibilities are endless!  (Okay, so maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's definitely a vast improvement from my prior state of car-lessness.)

I forgot what we were doing in the suburbs that day, but we swung by Superdawg for a late lunch:


Not gonna lie, the giant figurines on the roof (Maurie and Flaurie) were a tad terrifying.  Maurie had glowing red eyes!  I can only imagine how much scarier they would look at night.  Brrr...

You can dine inside if you're afraid of getting your car messy, but the real fun is eating out in the drive-in.  I mean, come on.  There's even a nifty tray for your window:


CK was adamant about ordering some superonionchips, which were exactly what they sound like:


So yummy with the barbecue sauce.

I decided to stick to the classic and get a superdawg:


The superdawg is a pure beef hot dog in a poppy seed bun, topped with mustard, piccalilli, dill pickle, chopped onions, and hot peppers (which I meticulously picked out).  For $5.25, you get that and lots of piping hot fries.

CK got the whoopskidawg:


The whoopskidawg, besides being fun to say, is an impressive take on a Romanian, Hungarian, and Polish sausage tucked in a whoopskiroll (whatever that is), basted in some secret sauce, and topped with grilled onions and a pickle.

Ridiculously good hot dogs + a giant, possessed weiner in a Fred Flintstone costume + the entire drive-in experience = one helluva fun time.


Superdawg Drive-In
6363 N Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60646
(773) 763-0660
http://www.superdawg.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!