Chicago: MingHin Cuisine

Dim sum happy hour where everything is 20% off?  Sign me up!  The problem was finding a weekday between 2:30-4:00pm when neither of us had class.  So when Martin Luther King Day came around, CK and I seized the chance (as well as our mutual friend, JH) and headed over to MingHin Cuisine in Chinatown:


The restaurant looked really fancy, so we worried that we'd gotten the wrong place.  A quick check on their website quieted our fears and we stepped through the doors.  Instead of being seated in the main dining room, we were taken to a little side room.  The feeling of being condemned to the kids table during Thanksgivng was ameliorated by the humongous booth we were led to. 

After reading about it in an article, I was dying to try MingHin's Macau pork belly:


Each delectable morsel included crispy skin, a beautiful layer of fat, and a tiny sliver of meat.  Dip it into the dish of sugar?  Perfection.  I would come back for this alone.

Instead of the usual carts, at MingHin you order by writing on a menu with pictures.  We got the usual assortment of dim sum, starting with taro puffs:


Pan fried chive dumplings:


Phoenix claws:



Barbecue pork buns:



Ooooh....pork:



Shrimp dumpling with pea tip:



Rice crepe with Chinese donut:



Fried pork dumpling:


CK wanted to try something special, so she ordered the almond souffle soup:


I'm not a huge fan of almond, so I passed on it.  Basically, it's just almond soup inside.

The dim sum at MingHin was decent, though a bit oily.  The surprise came when we got the bill only to find that we didn't get the 20% off discount.  When I asked why, we were told that the discount doesn't apply on holidays.  Holiday?!  What Chinese person celebrates Martin Luther King Day?  Give me a break.

We might have left MingHin a tad disgruntled, but I guess I wouldn't mind coming back on a non-holiday.  I've yet to find a great dim sum place in Chicago, so until then, I'll settle for the best deal in town.


MingHin Cuisine
2168 S Archer Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 808-1999
http://www.minghincuisine.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!