South Bay: Kim Loi Banh Bao

I walked by Kim Loi Banh Bao more than a dozen times before I finally walked through their door:


Because of the pandemic, all the tables were put away and I walked directly up to the counter:


Our of the five types of buns offered, I walked out with four (one not pictured here):


I ordered the BBQ pork bun (4 pieces for $5):


The chicken bun (4 pieces for $5):


And the sweet custard bun (4 for $5):


I also ordered the combination bun.  It comes in mini (4 for $10) and regular size ($5 each).  When I asked which size was better, the guy behind the counter compared the mini to a burger and the regular to a Big Mac.  So of course I had to go with the Big Mac:


The combination was essentially the chicken bun with the addition of a sausage nugget and half a hardboiled egg.

The only bun I didn't order was the salted duck egg one (4 for $12).  I just didn't feel like paying $3 per bun.

Out of all the buns, my favorites were the chicken and the custard ones.  This might come as a surprise to people who know me because 1) I love eggs and 2) I hate custard buns.  But hear me out.  The combination bun was delicious, but I much rather spend $5 on four smaller buns than $5 on one giant bun.  Not to mention the bread to filling ratio is better in the smaller buns.  For those reasons, I can live without the egg.

As for the custard bun, I'm still not generally a fan of them, but Kim Loi has the best custard bun I've ever had.  The bun is soft and fluffy, while the filling is creamy and not too sweet.

Ah, "not too sweet".  That's the ultimate compliment for Asian women past the age of 30.  

Anyway, I love the mom and pop feel of Kim Loi Banh Bao.  The buns are solid and the prices are reasonable.  Service is also friendly and efficient.  Kim Loi used to also sell noodles and rice plates and other stuff before the pandemic.  Hopefully as things start opening up again, I can go back to try their full menu.

Though most likely, I'll just be swinging by from time to time to pick up a selection of buns.


Kim Loi Banh Bao
1716 Tully Rd
San Jose, CA 95122
(408) 531-1344

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!