San Diego: ¡Salud!

One of my colleagues was able to get us all free tickets to a Padres game while we were down in Otay Mesa.  That was cool and all, but I was more interested in where we were going to go for dinner beforehand.

One of the IJP attorneys strongly recommended ¡Salud!:


Located in an artsy neighborhood walking distance from Chicano Park, Salud! seemed to be where all the hip youngsters gathered for their taco fix:


Our group might have been a bit older than the rest of the crowd there, but that didn't diminish our excitement.  We placed our order at the counter and snagged a table.

While the others sipped their alcoholic beverages, I was more than content with my watermelon aqua fresca:


No mason jar in sight, which was in itself very refreshing.  Almost as refreshing as the drink itself.

Since we had $40 per diem and I had barely spent any money on food all week, I felt comfortable being more generous with my ordering than usual.  I got the Mexican street corn ($5):


Super rich.  Definitely something to share with two or even three people.

I got the birria taco ($2.50) and the fish taco ($2.50):


The birria was made with shredded pork cooked in a mole sauce.  The fried tortilla was an unexpected, yet pleasant surprise.  For a touch of freshness, it was topped with lettuce, onions, cilantro, and cotija cheese.  The fish taco, on the other hand, was exactly as I imagined.  The beer battered catfish came on a thick, handmade tortilla sprinkled with cabbage, cotija, pico de gallo, and a special house sauce.

Yelpers made a big deal about the barrio taco ($2.75):


The carne guisado came topped with frijol (beans), nopal (cactus), and sour cream on a flour tortilla.  The guisado was amazing, but I'm just not a flour tortilla kind of girl.

It was a Thursday, which meant the daily specials were $2.50 empanadas and 3 for $6 rolled tacos.  I would've gotten an empanada, but I exercised some self control for once and resisted.  According to my coworker though, the picadillo empanada was perfection.

Even though I was stuffed, I couldn't pass up on the churros and ice cream ($8).  I forced my coworkers to share with me:


That caramel sprinkled with Tajin seasoning tho!  The tangy, saltiness kept the sundae from being too sweet.  Um...too overly sweet.

I can't think of a single taco place in the Bay that serves "gourmet" tacos for under $3.  Heck, most taco truck tacos cost over $2 these days.  I would definitely go back if I'm ever in the area.  Not only is the food delicious, prices are more than reasonable and the atmosphere is casual and laid back.  A super chill place to hang out with friends...with or without a baseball game to follow.

I'm not a huge baseball fan (despite writing this as I'm watching the World Series), but even I had a great time at the Padres game that night.  Probably because I had no skin in the game.  Aaaaaand also because they passed out free jerseys.

I love free stuff.


¡Salud!
2196 Logan Ave
San Diego, CA 92113
(619) 255-3856
https://saludsd.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!