Greece: Bakery

When I decided to add Santorini to our itinerary, I did so fully aware that it was off season and thus a lot of stores and restaurants would be closed.  Travel forums online recommended staying in Fira as relatively more places would be open, so that's where I booked our Airbnb.

Expecting things to be quiet still did not prepare us for the almost ghost town feel of the island when we arrived.  Not only were 80-90% of businesses closed, doors and windows were boarded up.  Though there were a few tourists here and there, most of the people we came across were construction workers renovating the resorts and caldera villas for summer.

As a lot of the restaurants I had researched were closed for the winter, we had to wing it a bit when it came to food.  On our way back to our Airbnb from a grocery store run, we peeked into an alley and spotted a bakery still open:


Most of the shelves were empty, but there were still some offerings in the display cabinet:


I randomly picked three things without really understanding what they were.  They were pretty big, so they seemed perfect for a light lunch.

This pastry looked super flaky:


But turned out to be the breadiest one of the bunch.  It also had ham inside:


This long flaky one was filled with potato:


While the flakiest one of all was this swirl:


Stuffed with spinach:


I wasn't expecting much given the sparseness of the shelves and the hidden away location, but I should have known better.  Those pastries were damn good.  The texture of the pastry, the savoriness of the filling...perfection. 

Three pastries cost €6.40.  (Even though there was a sign saying credit/debit accepted, I was told cash only when I tried to hand over my card.)  Not super cheap when you think of each pastry individually, but looking at it as a whole, definitely an affordable lunch for four. 

I have no idea what the name of the bakery was, much less its exact address.  All I can say is that it's buried deep in an alley to the right as you walk up Danezi M toward the Main Square from Agiou Athanasiou.

Happy hunting!

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!