San Francisco: TC Pastry

A while back, my sister posted a gorgeous shot of zhaliang (炸兩) on her Instagram that made me green with envy.  I finally had the chance to see in it in real life when I went up to San Francisco with my parents to visit my sister...and to do some shopping in the small Chinese grocery stores on Irving.

Actually, we went more for the grocery stores than for my sister.  Shhhh...don't tell her I said that.

We literally checked out every single grocery store on that street, comparing prices, and then returning to certain stores for particular items where they were cheapest.  Yeah, we're hardcore Chinese like that.

Only after completing our grocery shopping did we concern ourselves with lunch.  While we were figuring out where to eat, we stopped by TC Pastry for a zhaliang appetizer:


TC Pastry is designed more for take out than eating in:


They offer all sorts of dim sum and rice porridge, but we were there for one thing and one thing only.  Zhaliang ($2.75):


For those of you who don't know what zhaliang is, it's basically a Chinese fried donut wrapped in a rice noodle roll.  It's a satisfying mix of textures for people who enjoy contrasts like that.  What makes TC Pastry's zhaliang extra good is their peanut sauce.  Ugh.  Why is it so good?

Unpretentious and super cheap with big portion sizes, TC Pastry is every Chinese girl's dim sum dream.  I will definitely go back to try their other offerings, but I'll probably end up ordering the zhaliang every time.

WHY IS IT SO GOOD?!


TC Pastry
2222 Irving St
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 753-1133

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!