SF Peninsula: Taste In Mediterranean

Our old family friends live in Fremont, but are willing to go all the way to Burlingame just for Mediterranean food.  When we heard this, we were mystified.  How good can the food be to be worth the drive?  So when they invited my family to tag along, we jumped at the offer.

Taste in Mediterranean looked pretty ordinary from the outside:


Nothing crazy inside either:


Just place your order at the counter and wait for your food to come.  The gentleman who took our order was super friendly.  When we tried to pay, he told us to sit and relax and pay at the end of our meal.

We got a couple drinks to try.  From left to right: mango lasse with rose syrup & honey ($2.99), tropical tea and mint lemonade combo ($2.99), and regular mint lemonade ($2.75):


The mint lemonade was the best.  No question.  Forget everything else and just get the mint lemonade.  So fresh and amazing.

All the platter came with pita bread:


My mother ordered the lamb shawarma wrap ($8.99):


Whereas I went with the three item combo ($9.49).  There were quite a few things to choose from.  I finally decided on babaghanouj, eggplant salad, and falafel:


Oh my gawd. That babaghanouj.  Probably the best babaghanouj I've ever had.  And that eggplant salad.  Besides eggplant, it included garlic, bell peppers, onions, parsley, and tomatoes.  If you like eggplants, get both.  It'll change your life.

My father is a lamb addict, so getting the lamb kabob platter ($17.49) was kind of a no brainer:


Not cheap, but certainly delicious.  That rice was especially yummy.

My sister got the kefta kabob platter ($15.99):


The keftas were made with ground lamb and were also quite scrumptious.  But again, that rice tho.

Our family friend insisted that we save room for dessert.  She was really interested in the kanafeh:


Which is a sweet cheese pastry soaked in sugar syrup.  The warm cheese helps to temper the sweetness of the syrup.  While the first few bites are good, I can't really bring myself to eat much more than that.

A leisurely perusal of the dessert display cabinet drew our eyes to the baklava and pavlova:


The baklava was flaky and perfect, while the pavlova reminded us of this Taiwanese nougat candy.  Or at least the texture did.  Be careful while chewing or it'll get stuck in your teeth.

While we were sitting there oohing and aahing over the desserts, the nice gentleman who took our order came by with some complimentary cake:


He told us what it was, but we couldn't really catch what he said.  I think it might have been fig inside.  Regardless, it was good.  Not too sweet, though a bit hard to cut with a fork.

I'm now officially addicted to Taste in Mediterranean's babaghanouj.  It's kind of a problem.  I think about it all the time.  I even tried to recreate it at home, but that turned out to be a disaster.

I guess there's no way around it.  We're just going to have to make the trip to Burlingame.

Ah...now I get it.

The food is definitely worth the drive.


Taste in Mediterranean
1199 Broadway #1
Burlingame, CA 94010
(650) 348-3097
http://www.tasteinbroadway.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!