Oakland: Cock-a-Doodle Cafe

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

As a gift to us, our Executive Director gave us the week of December 23rd off.  Most of my coworkers took December 30th off, since the office was also closed on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. I, however, dutifully went to work on the 30th since all my vacay days are going toward my Southeast Asia trip.

I knew I was going to be the only person in the office, so I dragged my sister (who'd returned home for winter break before Christmas) along to keep me company.

Another great thing about being alone in the office?  Long lunch breaks.

Two Chicago friends were visiting the Bay, so we had a mini-Chicago reunion at Cock-a-Doodle Cafe:


The cafe was tiny and we were a party of six, so we had to wait a bit outside before finally getting a table:


My sister and I split one savory and one sweet.  For our savory, we ordered the Oaxacan omelette ($11):


The omelette was stuffed with slow roasted pork, tomatillo sauce, mozzarella, and green onions and topped with sliced avocado.  Of course we chose house griddle potatoes over the house salad.  The omelette was decent, though not exactly spectacular.  All I could focus on was how unripened the avocado was.  The potatoes were quite nice, but again, the avocado kept me from enjoying them fully.

We originally wanted to order the fried chicken and graham cracker-crusted french toast, but our server broke our hearts when he told us that they were out of fried chicken.

Wut.

Instead, we had to settle on having the french toast by itself ($9):


The bread was soft and the sesame seeds on the crust added a nice flavor.  My sister noticed that the french toast orders coming out of the kitchen after ours arrived boasted of significantly larger portions.  Sigh.  Guess we got the butt end of the loaf.  That sucks.

Anyway, while our server wasn't exactly the most friendly guy ever, the food at Cock-a-Doodle was good and the prices were reasonable.  A little bitter about the raw avocado, the fried chicken running out, and being skimped on the french toast though.

At least the company was fabulous.  It was great catching up with UK and MM.  And of course it's always great to see VT.

I still can't believe it's already 2014.  I'm not sure if I'm ready for this.  One week from now, I'll be in BALI.  I need more time to let that sink in.


Cock-a-Doodle Cafe
719 Washington St
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 465-5400
http://www.cockadoodlecafe.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!