Chicago: Yolk

With the end of the quarter in sight, it's getting harder and harder to eat out. It really does take an concerted effort to get out of the apartment, rope some other people into joining, and voyage outside of Hyde Park.

Such an effort finally paid off Friday morning, even though we lost a few people along the way. As Yolk in South Loop is actually pretty close to Hyde Park, it was a relatively small victory, but a precious one nonetheless:



Because the L stalled more than once, my roommate and I left our poor friend waiting for almost 10 minutes. Luckily the restaurant wasn't too full, so she was able to get a table first:



The waitress came by twice to ask if we were ready to order and both times we had to turn her away because we'd been too busy talking to even look at the menu. She was really nice about it though and never rushed us. Instead, she told us to just close our menus to signal to her when we're ready.

As usual, I wanted something savory...but was tempted by the sweet offerings. I was able to compromise by ordering the bacon waffle:



That's right, BACON waffle. Little salty pieces of bacon scattered throughout the waffle paired with maple syrup...just beautiful. If only the waffle was a little bit crispier.

But tragedy struck before I could even bite into the waffle. I'm the type who is fiercely protective of my egg yolks. I don't like to lose even a tiny bit to the plate, so I always carefully cut out the yolk and put the whole thing into my mouth. It takes precision, slow movement, and a steady hand. My hands are far from steady (hence why I can never be a surgeon), so I usually rely on having the appropriate tool: a nice, big spoon. The spoons at Yolk were TINY. And as a result...I POPPED BOTH EGG YOLKS and consequently ruined the rest of my day. Okay, maybe nothing that dramatic, but kinda, yea.

My roommate laughed at me, but she also let me try her Popeye's Favorite fritatta:



That's scramble eggs with bacon, spinach, potatoes, and onions all covered by melted jack cheese. It also came with a choice of toast, pancakes, or English muffin. My roommate went with the pancakes, which turned out to be nice and fluffy. As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of pancakes, but those were pretty darn tasty.

Oh Yolk, your spoons have caused me serious trauma. It may be a while before I have the courage and the strength to return again...


Yolk
1120 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605
(213) 789-9655

Comments

  1. I concur--to loose the yolk, is to loose the joy of an egg. Vegans, I will never understand you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!