Chicago: Mole de Mayo

I couldn't go to Chicago and not meet up with my SSA girls.  It just so happened that Mole de Mayo was the weekend I was in town, so MM suggested that we meet up there Friday evening:


Entrance to the street fair was free, but with a "suggested" donation of $5 per individual or $10 per family.  There were lots of vendors out, selling everything from clothes to Internet service. 

We, of course, went straight for the food.  We walked up and down the two blocks to scope everything out before dividing and conquering.  We then gathered together to share our spoils.

There was the arepa de choclo, which was this sweet corn cake with cheese in the middle:


MM came back with this plantain, cheese, and condensed milk dessert that I'd never seen before:


I was most excited about the mole.  It was a mole festival after all.  I got in the longest line I could see and got a chicken tamale with both red and green mole:


I tried the green first.  Then the red.  Then the green again.  And then the red again.  Both were delicious.  I couldn't decide which I liked more. 

Something else I'd never seen before was the pambazo.  Pambazo is known for the redness of the bread, which comes from dipping it into red pepper sauce.  We asked for our sandwich to be doused with mole:


Fork and knife definitely recommended.

Given how humid and hot it was, the best purchase made that night was actually the cucumber and lime agua fresca:


If you read my recent posts from Mexico, you know I'm obsessed.  It's just so freakin' refreshing!  As MM and Queen G sipped on their sangrias, I was happily slurping away at my pepino con limon.  The cup was so big that I continued to nurse it as we joined the mini dance party in front of the stall of one of MM's favorite DJs.  We danced until the sun went down and our feet hurt.

As usual, I had a blast hanging out with my SSA girls.  MM and Queen G, there's never a dull moment with you two around.  Can't wait until the next Chicago reunion!


Mole de Mayo
18th Street from Ashland to Loomis
https://www.facebook.com/MoleDeMayo/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!