San Francisco: Uyghur Taamliri

Sorry for the long delay between posts.  My family went down to Death Valley for the holidays and while "Death Valley" isn't quite a fitting name for such a gorgeous place, it is definitely an accurate description of the Internet and phone reception situation there.

Death Valley: where cell phones go to die.

Anyway, more about that later when I finally get around to posting about the last week.  In the meantime, I have more catching up to do.

When my sister told me about a Uyghur pop up restaurant in the city close to where she lives, I knew I had to try it.  So one Sunday evening, we dragged our parents to The Chug Pub, where Uyghur Taamliri operates out of:


The "restaurant" portion of the pub is tucked deep in the corner by the pool table:


It seemed to be a rather slow night for them, which was probably a good thing for us.  From our observations, the staff of Uyghur Taamliri consists of one server and one person in the kitchen.  (At least that's all we saw that night.)

Uyghur cuisine comes from Central Asia and is very much a blend of Chinese and Middle Eastern influences.  As Uyghurs are predominantly Muslim, you won't find any pork in their dishes, but plenty of lamb.

Everything on the menu sounded so good that we might have over-ordered for four people.

We started with two samsas ($2.50 each):


Think hot pocket filled with minced lamb, onion, and other veggies:


We also go the gosnan ($13):


Like the samsa, the gosnan was also filled with minced lamb, onion, and other veggies:


We ordered the pitir manta with pumpking filling (6 for $7):


But I think they accidentally brought us the lamb and onion one instead (6 for $8):


No complaints here.  You can never have too much lamb.  Especially in dumpling form.

We could have chosen to get lamb with our laghman (noodles), but we made the conscious decision to try something different and instead went with beef:


The beef came stir fried with lots of veggies and laid on a bed of noodles.  A big plate cost $11.

Our server told us that polo is the quintessential traditional Uyghur dish and is served at all major events.  Offered only on weekends, a big plate cost $10:


The rice was cooked to the point where it was very wet and had soaked up the sweetness of the carrots and the savoriness of the lamb and onions.  It was everything I could have ever wished for.

Everything at Uyghur Taamliri was amazingly delicious.  My personal favorites were the polo and the gosnan.  My only complaint would be that the serving sizes are a bit on the small side given the prices, but then again, I suppose they're pretty on par with other restaurants in San Francisco.  I guess I'm pretty spoiled by living in the South Bay.

The most fun part of the night was seeing my mother sitting in a pub, something I never thought I would ever witness.  Even if the food had been utter crap (which it definitely was not), that would have made the night worth it.

Hope you all enjoyed your holidays and see you in 2016!


Uyghur Taamliri
1849 Lincoln Way
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 489-0849

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!