Tri-City: OK Noodle

My parents and sister went to OK Noodle one day for lunch while I was at work.  When they came back raving about how great the noodles were, I threw a fit.  I demanded that they go again...with me this time.

I made sure to make it happen:


We got there really early for dinner, so the restaurant was mostly empty:


OK Noodle serves Northwestern Chinese cuisine, which is known for its lamb and noodles.  I wanted to try just about everything, so I went a little crazy and ordered way too many dishes for four people.  Talk about noodle overload.

There was the cold noodle ($8.25):


It came topped with slivers of ham and cucumber.  Very cool and refreshing.

As if one cold noodle dish wasn't enough, we also got the liang pi ($5.99):


Compared to the first cold noodle, the noodles in the liang pi were chewier and less dough-y.  The cucumbers were a perfect compliment to the sauce, which was tangy and had a slight kick to them.

My sister recommended the haggis soup ($5.99):


It's exactly what it sounds like.  Soup made with lamb innards:


If you don't like offal, this is not the soup for you.  I, on the other hand, enjoyed it quite a lot.  The soup itself was super flavorful.

The star of the show was definitely the big plate lamb ($12.99):


It comes with belt noodles, which are super wide (like a belt!) and are poured on once it gets to your table:


The big plate was filled with tender lamb chunks, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes.  Good even without the noodles, but the noodles are what takes it to the next level.  The belt noodles were so good, the texture so perfectly Q, that we asked for an extra order of noodles.  Do that.  You'll thank me.

Because we can never have enough lamb, we added lamb noodles ($10.99):


While good, it paled in comparison to the big plate lamb.

I've been to OK Noodle a few times since my first visit and I've ordered the big plate lamb every single time.  I've also tried some of the other dishes.  The cumin lamb fried scone (think sliced spongy scones stir fried with loads of cumin) and the ding ding chow mein (noodles cut into tiny segments in a tomato-y sauce) are both delicious.

If you're a noodle fanatic, if you love fresh, handmade noodle, get in your car and get yourself to OK Noodle right now.

Just make sure you stop by the ATM first, because OK Noodle is cash only.


OK Noodle
5492 Central Ave
Newark, CA 94560
(510) 818-9928

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!