Berkeley: Turkish Kitchen

Back in August (yes, I'm really behind on my posts), a Chicago friend came to visit the Bay.  She was staying with her sister in Berkeley, so that's where VN, SY, and I met up with her.  Since she had more dietary restrictions, we let her pick the restaurant.  She went with Turkish Kitchen:


Turkish Kitchen didn't exist when I was a student at Cal.  That particular space used to be a Mediterranean restaurant with a blue awning, the name of which escapes me now.

They really spruced up the place.  I don't remember it being quite so fancy inside:


Yelp reviews mentioned that you had to request the complimentary bread or it wouldn't come.  Before we could even open our mouths to make the request, our server asked us if we would like some bread.  Uh, yes please?:


My cheap Chinese self warred with my desire to have mousakka again (I'd only had it once before in Chicago) and also to just say mousakka out loud.  Mousakka is such a fun word to say, isn't it?  Mousakka.  Mousakka.

Ultimately, mousakka was victorious:


It wasn't even all that expensive at $11.95.  It's just that when there are cheaper options on the menu, I feel pressured by my ancient Chinese ancestors to let frugality dictate my decisions.  Sad, I know.

Anyway, I digress.  The mousakka was brilliant.  Ground beef between mashed potatoes and eggplants and topped with bechamel sauce and cheese...what's not to love?  And the rice.  Omigawd, the rice.  Most fragrant rice ever.  I would eat the rice by itself.  Nothing else necessary.

The food at Turkish Kitchen was great, but the company was even better.  Especially when said company let you taste what they order.  I had a bite of everyone else's dishes and everything was delish.

If only Turkish Kitchen had been around when I was still at Berkeley.

Turkish Kitchen
1986 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 540-9997
http://turkishkitchenberkeley.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!