Chicago: Sweet Station

After a rather studious weekend, the girls wanted to just get out and unwind. We were all craving dessert and because we didn't feel like traveling too far, we settled on Chinatown. It made sense to get dessert from a place named Sweet Station:



None of us had any idea what feel the interior designer was going for, but we all took it in stride. I've learned not to try to figure out Chinese restaurant decor:



It didn't take me long to decide on what I wanted drink. The minute I saw iced lychee black tea on the menu, I was sold:



So refreshing and not overly sweet. My friends all really liked it too.

The five of us split an order of deep fried man tou:



Man tou are basically plain steamed buns. I don't usually like them because they're quite dense in texture, but fried and dipped in condensed milk? Whole different story.

What drew me to Sweet Station in the first place was its daily sweet soup menu. Each day there's a different sweet soup offered for $1.25. The list can be found on their website, but it's not in their printed menu. Nothing a quick question to the servers can't fix though. Saturday's special is taro coconut and sago:



While I'm not a big taro fan (as I've said many times before), I actually really, really love taro coconut and sago soup. Unfortunately, Sweet Station's taro coconut and sago is far from impressive. The taro pieces are small and not completely cooked. The soup itself is on the watery side. Very disappointing, but I guess for $1.25 it's good enough.

For a place called Sweet Station, there wasn't much of a dessert selection. Can't say much about the food, but I definitely recommend the lychee black tea.


Sweet Station
2101 S China Pl
Chicago, IL 60616
(312) 842-2228

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!