South Bay: Noodle Hut

While I might prefer rice over noodles, there are certain noodles that are so good that I make an exception for them, Cambodian noodles being one of them.  My go-to Cambodian noodle place has always been Nam Vang, so when PC suggested meeting up with AT at Noodle Hut, I was a bit skeptical:


Whereas Nam Vang has that slightly sketchy feel that immediately lets you know the food is going to be good, Noodle Hut was very modernly decorated:


I was still skeptical at this point.

The meal started the usual way, with a plate of bean sprouts and other accompaniments: 


There were a few noodle options on the menu, but we all wanted the same thing, the Phnom Penh noodles:


Also known as the house special, the Phnom Penh noodles came with sliced pork, ground pork, pork stomach, pork liver, and shrimp.  There were two sizes to choose from, regular ($11.50) and large ($12.25).  If you wanted to make it spicy, that was an additional $0.50.

While I'm used to having a choice between egg and rice noodles, Noodle Hut took its noodle options to a whole other level.  You could ask for small rice noodles, big rice noodles, small egg noodles, big egg noodles, Mama noodles, tear drop noodles, or even spicy ramen noodles.  If you want to mix your egg and rice noodles though, you'll need to pay an extra $1.

I wasn't about to pay extra just to mix noodles, so I went with the egg noodles:


The noodles came with a pork bone broth on the side:

 
Apparently this is only available for dine-in and only while supplies last.

The noodles were delicious (though the extra cost for spicy and for mixing noodles was kind of weird) and I especially loved the giant bowl of pork bone broth with its over-the-top pork bone.  Since I don't really care about ambiance, the question is whether the taste of the food or the portion sizes make up for the price difference between Nam Vang and Noodle Hut.  I am not sure that is the case.

What I would like to do is to conduct a blind taste test of Nam Vang and Noodle Hut side by side.  I need to know if my continued preference for Nam Vang is because their noodles are better or if it's actually due to loyalty, which has definitely colored my preferences in the past.

Anyone up for an experiment with me?


Noodle Hut
1810 Milmont Dr
Milpitas, CA 95035
(669) 226-5875

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!