South Bay: Uzumakiya Udon Izakaya

Let's be real.  Shelter-in-Place isn't the most conducive to food blogging.  It's not exactly the time to be out and about trying new food spots.  And when we do get take out, we tend to stick to local businesses that we know and love and want to support during these times.  

There was one new restaurant that I did get to try during COVID-19.  For T's birthday, we surprised her by leaving TP Tea at her doorstep and then throwing her a Zoom party.  While I was waiting for the drinks, I slipped around the back of the building to Uzumakiya Udon Izakaya's kitchen door, where they were taking to-go orders:


Abby had been raving about Uzumakiya ever since she tried it with UK, so I was super curious.  Uzumakiya is known for their udon noodles.  I ordered the utsuke or udon tsukemen ($14.50):


The udon noodles came with slices of beef chashu, bok choy, housemade spicy chili sauce, some kind of mustard, and a cold beef and dashi broth dipping sauce.  

I also ordered the Uzumakiya udon ($11.50):


Which came with an oxtail broth, beef chashu, burdock tempura, bok choy, and green onion.

There is no other word to describe Uzumakiya's noodles except exquisite:


So chewy!  So bouncy!  It just doesn't get any better than that.

I ordered two of each dish for my family of four.  But when my father said he wasn't hungry, I took one for the team and ended up eating one of each.  Everything was so light that I didn't feel stuffed at all.  In fact, it was so good that I wanted more!  

My favorite was the udon because of that amazing oxtail broth.  There was this hint of yuzu that added a brightness that was ultra memorable.  And that chashu!  It melted away in my mouth like cotton candy.

Ramen doesn't always do it for me, but the udon at Uzumakiya really knocks it out of the park.  I can't wait until it's safe again to dine in so that I can experience their noodles in their full plated glory, but in the meantime, I'll satisfy myself with take out.

Stay safe, everyone!  


Uzumakiya Udon Izakaya
10789 S Blaney Ave
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 490-4017

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!