South Bay: Dzui's Cakes & Desserts

I happened upon Dzui's when Abby and I were looking up durian desserts to surprise CK on her birthday:


We were instantly taken in by the welcoming interior:


It was a bit later in the day, so a lot of things were sold out.  However, we were still able to pick up a few durian goodies.  Starting with this "Ah Du"...rian milk tea:


The jasmine milk tea came with durian pudding and coco cream.  And a dollop of fresh durian on top.

My favorite were these durian tarts:


They were so creamy and just lovely to eat.

The durian crepe was a little less exciting:


The filling was basically just fresh durian and whipped cream, which while nothing to complain about, wasn't particularly interesting.

We got a little sidetracked from our durian quest when we saw this savory spongecake:


It was topped with salted egg yolk, pork floss, green onions, and some kind of sauce.  It was spectacular warm.

I was so intrigued by the offerings at Dzui's that I was excited to go back.  And gone back I have, many, many times.  I brought CK and AG with me and they have become even bigger fans than me.  They're regulars now and have literally tried everything on the menu (other than the beverages).

They're even on first name basis with Dzui, the owner.  They learned that he makes everything from scratch.  Even the salted egg yolks!

I might have introduced CK and AG to Dzui's, but since then, they have been the ones who have introduced me to Dzui's many delicious delights.  Such as this lava bread:


You can get the original, which has cream cheese filling:


Or you can be a bit extra and get the salted egg yolk filling:


For the life of me, I cannot decide which one I like better.  I change my mind every time I take a bite.  If you plan on enjoying the lava bread immediately, ask for it to be heated (Dzui's pro tip) so that you get that oozy goodness when you cut it open.

Dzui's pia pastries are made with his family's recipe:


Apparently Dzui's family back in Vietnam owns a famous pia factory, so they really know their stuff.  Once you've had one of Dzui's fresh pias, you can't go back to the packaged ones from the store.  They're softer and just more delicious.

Dzui's has many different pia flavors.  We like the mung bean and durian one:


CK and AG highly recommend Dzui's spicy bread:


The baguette is drenched in some kind of tangy, spicy sauce.  The final product is slightly sweet, slightly savory, and slightly spicy.

If something softer is more your thing, the savory spongecake also comes in cupcake form:


You can really taste the love and care that Dzui puts into everything he makes.  Dzui himself is an absolute gem.  He's super personable and so, so generous.  He's incredibly hard working and is always looking to improve and expand his repertoire.

I cannot recommend Dzui's enough.  While part of me selfishly wishes to keep Dzui's a secret from everyone, I know that good things must be shared.  And Dzui really deserves the recognition.


Dzui's Cakes & Desserts
2451 Alvin Ave
San Jose, CA 95121
(669) 234-7799

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!