San Francisco: Bistro at the Cliff House

My father doesn't have much interest in eating out, so when he said he wanted to take my mother to the Cliff House for Mother's Day, we weren't about to say no:


If you've ever been to Land's End, you've definitely seen the historic Cliff House overlooking the Pacific.  It'd never crossed my mind to dine there, but my parents randomly went to the Bistro side with friends, enjoyed it, and are apparently now fans.

We got there before they opened and there was already a line.  Once the door opened, we filed in and seemingly took a step back in time:


There were so many things to look at, from the black and white photos of movie stars on the walls to the amazing view outside.  The moment the basket of complimentary popovers were set on our table, however, it completely snagged our attention and held them:


The popovers were warm and soft and eggy and so, so delicious.  Even better, they were unlimited.  We definitely made our ancestors proud with how many basket refills we asked for.

If we'd been so inclined, we could have made our own popovers at home.  The Cliff House offers a baking mix ($6.50) that allows you to bring the magic into your own kitchen.

It wouldn't be unlimited though.  So sad.

My father ordered the eggs San Francisco ($21.75):


The toasted herb loaf came topped with poached eggs, brandy cream sauce, and the San Franciscan touch, dungeness crab.

CK, essentially my parents' adopted daughter (hence why she was there with us), got the sourdough french toast with bacon ($16.25):


My father previously raved so much about the Johnson omelet ($21.75) that I had to give it a go:


It was stuffed with dungeness crab and avocado and blessed with a dollop sour cream:


Both Abby and my mother got the Cliff House Bistro cheese burger ($16.50):


Nothing too special there.  The half pound beef burger came with melted cheddar cheese and a side of garlic fries.

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time at the Cliff House.  The service was incredibly attentive, the food good, and the views excellent.  Oh, and the popovers never ending.  Can't forget that.  But at the end of the meal, was it worth the price tag?  Meh.

But if my father ever wanted to go again, I still wouldn't say no.


Cliff House
1090 Point Lobos Ave
San Francisco, CA 94121
(415) 386-3330
https://cliffhouse.com/history/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!