Oakland: Battambang Restaurant

I walk past Battambang Restaurant every work day, but I didn't really think to go in until VN asked me to meet her there for lunch one day:


I was expecting more of a lunch rush, but I didn't mind the quiet:


The meal started with a simple veggie and tofu soup:


Really nothing to get excited about, except that it's part of the lunch special package.

But then.  BUT THEN, VN introduced me to troub trung kor ($12):


What is that, you ask?  Don't be embarrassed.  That's exactly what I asked too.  Apparently troub trung kor is smoked eggplant sauteed with prawn and ground pork in a sweet lime sauce.  This changed my life.  It was smoky and slightly sweet and so freakin' delicious with rice.  I wanted to pull the plate to myself and hoard it all. 

But I had to be nice and share it with VN.  Because friendship.

I didn't mind sharing the kari sach ko ($12.95) though:


The mixed seafood in red coconut curry sauce was good, but not nearly as inspiring as the troub trung kor.

Because we ordered off of the lunch special menu, both dishes came with rice and soup.  Not the cheapest lunch deal in downtown Oakland, but whatever, I don't care.  I'm already craving the troub trung kor again. 


Battambang Restaurant
850 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 839-8815
https://battambangoakland.weebly.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!