Oakland: Pyeong Chang Tofu House

Abby had been raving about this Korean tofu place in Oakland and kept saying that my parents would love it.  But my parents rarely have reason to go up to Oakland, so Pyeong Chang Tofu House was left on the back-burner until the day we took my parents up to Redwood Regional Park for a hike.

We arrived at Pyeong Chang just a bit before they opened:


We were literally the first ones through the door:


As usual, the banchan came first:


My favorite was the potato, which isn't much of a surprise because I love potatoes so much I'm practically a potato.  Second favorite was probably the eggplant.

We ordered a seafood pancake ($13) to share:


It was crisp on the outside, just the way I like it.

I got the mandu tofu soup ($13.99):


The mandu or dumplings were huge!  The soup base was also very delicious.

The best part of the meal though, was the crispy rice from the bottom of the stone bowl:


Not a lot of Korean places offer this.  At Pyeong Chang, they loosen it for you and then you break it and eat it almost like a chip.

If Oakland wasn't so far, this would be our go-to Korean tofu spot.  As it is, it looks like we'll only be going to Pyeong Chang Tofu House when we go to Redwood Regional.  Guess this is a good reason to get more hiking done!


Pyeong Chang Tofu House
4701 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94609
(510) 658-9040

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!