South Bay: Udon Mugizo

I can't believe Abby's wedding is just around the corner.  It seemed like just yesterday she was on the hunt for a wedding dress.  

In my opinion, the best part of wedding dress shopping is not actually the shopping, but the eating afterwards.  After an unsuccessful expedition at David's Bridal, Abby took our mom and me to Udon Mugizo:


There was quite a wait for lunch on a Sunday, but we weren't in a hurry.  After about half an hour, we made it inside:


To kick off the meal, the three of us split a corn tempura ($5):


Literally just corn kernels battered and fried, the fritters were sweet and quite greasy.  I wasn't mad at it though.

Our mom went the basic route and ordered the tonkotsu udon ($15):


The pork and fish broth came with kurobuta chashu, shrimp tempura, an egg, garlic, green onions, boiled spinach, fish powder, and tempura bits.

I decided to be a bit more adventurous and got the mentai cream sauce udon ($15.25):


The roe cream sauce was super rich, doubly so once the parmesan cheese melted in.  The green onions, kaiware sprouts, and nori helped to offset the richness...but only by a little.  Don't get me wrong.  It was delicious.  I just don't think I could eat a lot of it.

Abby decided to go with the nabeyaki udon ($16.50):


It included a soft boiled egg, shrimp tempura, chicken, fish cake, maitake mushrooms, green onions, and tempura bits.

Udon is all about the noodle texture.  If it's not chewy, it doesn't matter if it's paired with the world's best broth or the best sauce.  Udon Mugizo certainly knows its udon.  (You would hope so given that's essentially the entire menu.)  My favorite is still Uzumakiya, but I wouldn't mind hitting up Mugizo if I was in the neighborhood.


Udon Mugizo 
1072 Saratoga Ave
San Jose, CA 95129
(408) 692-9225
https://www.mugizo-us.com/sanjose

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!