SF Peninsula: Marufuku Ramen

My friends and I have been on an escape room kick.  We go in, escape, and then our ritual is to go eat and debrief our experience.

After successfully escaping from the Confinement room at Red Door in San Mateo, we hung out a bit at CL's place before heading to Marufuku Ramen for dinner:


We got to the restaurant around an hour before they closed, so there wasn't much of a wait.  Most diners were finishing up and on their way out:


T went with the Hakata tonkotsu ($14.50):


The ramen came in a rich pork broth and was topped with chashu pork, a soft boiled egg, green onions, kikurage mushrooms, and bean sprouts.

At CL's recommendation, I ordered the chicken paitan ($14.50):


My broth came really pale because I asked for it to be not spicy.

The noodles were thin and had just the right amount of chew:


The white chicken broth was simultaneously light and rich.  It came with chashu chicken breast, a soft boiled egg, green onions, kikurage mushrooms, and bean sprouts.  I'm not usually a fan of chicken breast, but this one was super soft and juicy.

CL and DK actually ordered the same thing, but they made theirs deluxe ($18.50), which meant that their ramen also included corn and a sheet of nori:


As well as a grilled chicken leg on a sizzling plate on the side:


I thoroughly enjoyed my ramen, but I did have one complaint.  While I appreciated that they give you a whole egg, my soft boiled egg was just a tad more cooked that I would've liked:


Still good, but it could've been amazing.

I'm far from a ramen connoisseur.  In fact, I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to ramen.  Unless the noodles or the egg are spectacularly good or spectacularly bad, ramen just isn't very memorable to me.  

Marufuku Ramen was slightly more memorable than other places because of its chicken broth.  But would I crave it?  Not really.

Maybe one day I'll come across a ramen that will convert me into a ramen addict.  But until then...I'll stick to escape rooms.


Marufuku Ramen
865 Middlefield Rd
Redwood City, CA 94063
(650) 257-3012
https://www.marufukuramen.com/redwood

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!