South Bay: Jubba Restaurant

Back when it was okay to dine in restaurants, CK, AG, and I randomly decided to check out Jubba Restaurant for lunch one day:


Having very little experience with Somali cuisine, I didn't know what to expect.  We started with some appetizers to get us going.  There was the sambuso ($1.75) and the mandazi ($1.25):


The sambuso was very similar to an Indian samosa.  It was stuffed with beef and veggies:


It packed quite a punch.  It was so spicy that I couldn't take more than a small bite.  And that was without the green sauce.  That green sauce looked harmless, but it was fire! 

The mandazi, on the other hand, was a fried bread that was slightly sweet with a hint of cardamom.  I mainly stuck with that one.

For our mains, we split three dishes.  We got the chicken sugaar ($14.99) or grilled chicken with veggies:


All entrees came with the choice of rice, pasta, chappatti, or injera.  We decided on a chapati since we'd never had one before and it turned out to be this lovely flatbread that was slightly sweet.

We also got the grilled tilapia ($14.99) with rice:


And finally, there was the beef sugaar ($14.99), which was grilled beef and veggies:


We opted to go with injera on this one.  Some people might find injera too sour for their tastes, but I love it.  CK does too.  Which is why we get along so well.

Something about the spices in all the dishes was very familiar to me.  I can't quite put my finger on it.  It tasted vaguely like a Chinese stir fry from my childhood.  I tried to explain this to CK and AG, but they didn't know what I was talking about.

I think I need to go back to Jubba Restaurant again to see if I can figure it out.  And because the food is delicious, of course.  The portions are big, the prices are reasonable, there's complimentary ginger tea...what's not to love?

Oh, and if you're not weaksauce like me, you can ask for spicy instead of mild, which I hear is pretty damn spicy.


Jubba Restaurant
5330 Terner Way, Ste 40
San Jose, CA 95136
(408) 440-1504

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!