South Bay: Anh Hong

I'd known about Anh Hong and their seven course beef meal for years, but I always figured I would save it for a special occasion.  When I finally made it through their doors, it was a normal Wednesday night:


There was no special occasion to speak of except that Jiejie was still in town and T and CV wanted her to experience the beef extravaganza.  CK heard about our plan and wanted in on the action as well.

We were one of the few parties in the restaurant that night:


This didn't really concern us as we were more intent on the beef.  Anh Hong's seven course beef set cost $25.25 per order and they have a requirement of a minimum of two orders if you're going that route.  For the five of us, we went with four orders in total.

The first course was a beef salad:


For a beef dish, it was very light.  The beef itself was thinly sliced on a bed of bean sprouts and carrots.

Up next was the beef in red wine vinegar sauce:


The beef came raw with a bubbling pot of dipping sauce on the side.

The course also included rice paper wraps and veggies:


And all sorts of greens:


So that you can make little beef spring rolls:


Concerned that four courses might not be enough for five people, T also added on a grilled beef from Anh Hong's a la cart menu:


I wasn't expecting anything beyond the seven courses and so it didn't occur to me to look at the rest of the menu...hence why I have no clue how much this particular dish cost.  Sorry.

Then it was back to our regularly scheduled seven course beef programming.  One platter contained the next four courses:


There were three types of beef rolls.  The grilled beef sausages (top) were super fatty and maybe my favorite.  The beef rolls with onions and lemongrass (middle) were fragrant and slightly sweet.  The beef wrapped in Hawaiian leaf (bottom) were probably the most interesting in terms of flavor.

On the side was the steamed beef patty, which was delicious, but couldn't compare to the other three contenders on the plate.

The last course was the beef rice porridge:


It was peppery and comforting and the perfect ending to the meal.

It turned out that T needn't had worried.  There was so much food that we couldn't finish everything.  Of all the courses, my top three were hands down the three beef rolls.  Some of the others thought they were too rich, but that didn't bother me at all.  I loved how fatty and juicy they were.  I just wanted to keep eating beef rolls until I became a beef roll.

Thanks to this pandemic, I'm nearly there.


Anh Hong
233 W Calaveras Blvd
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 946-9046

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!