Korea: Masan Halmae Agoojjim

CK couldn't go to Korea and not do her filial duty, so she spent our last night in Seoul with her grandmother.  Meanwhile, the rest of us went to get ganjang gejang or soy sauce marinated raw crabs.  Yes, RAW crabs.

There's an entire alley in Seoul that's dedicated to ganjang gejang because that's how good they are.  Jiejie led us directly to Masan Halmae Agoojjim:


The interior was divided between western table seating and Eastern floor seating:


For the fun of it, we grabbed some mats and slid up to a low table.  We could have also grabbed some aprons to protect our clothes, but seeing as how all the businessmen weren't wearing any, we decided to tough it out too.

The banchan was nice:


As was the steamed egg:


We didn't want to only order crabs, so we also got the spicy braised monkfish with bean sprouts (₩40,000 / $33.53 for a medium):


The monkfish was super plump and firm.  The overall dish was spicy and yet a bit bland at the same time, which was strange to me.

I quickly lost interest in the monkfish when the ganjang gejang came out (two for ₩70,000 / $58.68):


The raw crab itself was pretty freakin' amazing.  The texture was slightly slimy, which I can see being off-putting for some, but I loved it.  And over half the fun was sucking out the crab meat from those skinny little blue crab legs.

The fun didn't stop there.  Oh, no.  Even though Jiejie couldn't eat seaweed, UK said we had to add on a side of rice with dried seaweed (₩3000 / $2.51):


I didn't quite understand why until he showed me what you're supposed to do with it.  Apparently you mix the rice in the crab shell along with crab roe and some sauce.  The final product is magical:


Very salty, but magical.  I loved it so much.  In fact, I loved it so much I could've eaten a dozen crabs by myself.  If only they were cheaper.  (Almost $30 per crab is just crazy.)

Or more accurately, if only I had more money.  Sigh.  Story of my life.


원조 마산 할매 아구찜
서울 서초구 강남대로 99길 10
+82 2-547-2774

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!