Korea: Song Ahjeossi Bindaeddeok

I'd heard from my Korean friends about how when Korean go out at night, they can go multiple rounds and travel from location to location, eating and drinking at each stop into the early hours of the morning.  I'd heard all this, but I didn't truly understand it until the night we hung out with CK's cousin.

I thought we were done after the fabulous intestine dinner.  I, at least, was done.  My stomach was completely stuffed, which meant that I was getting sleepy.  However, CK's cousin showed no signs of stopping.

Instead, he took us to his favorite hangout spot:


He went there so often back in his university days that the owner recognized him by face.

The interior did have a chill, college-y vibe to it:



The alcohol came first.  CK's cousin ordered a drink made of makgeolli (rice wine) and cider (kind of like Sprite) for himself and for CK's sister:



I took a sip of it and was surprised by how harmless it tasted.  Of course, the alcohol taste was still too strong for me, but it's definitely better than some other stuff that I've tried.

I swear I was full when I first entered the restaurant, but I somehow found the space to try some panchan:



And then a lot more space to try one of each of everything on this platter of jeon (battered and pan-fried goodies):


I was told the pepper stuffed with meat wasn't hot, but I was lied to.  Besides the pepper, there were also fish, some kind of tofu/meat/veggie patty, and squash, among other things.  Looking back now, I can't believe I ate all that.

And the night didn't end here.  We ended up going for round three at another bar where CK's cousin had a few beers and the rest of us nibbled on pretzels.  None of us could keep up with that man.

The most interesting part of round two was when CK's cousin turned around in his seat and caught sight of his coworker on a date.  Turns out, in Korean company culture, when you run into a sunbae (older/senior coworker) at a restaurant, it's expected that the sunbae will pay for your meal.  Your ENTIRE meal.  Including the other people in your party.  Dead serious.  We thought CK's cousin was joking up until the moment we stepped outside and realized that he really hadn't paid.

Dude.  I would hate to work in Korea.  I would live in constant fear of accidentally running into any hobae (younger/junior coworkers) at restaurants and end up avoiding eating out as much as I could to save myself from going broke.

Never a dull moment in Korea.


송아저씨 빈대떡
서울 서대문구 창천동 52-75
02-338-4919

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!