South Bay: Vien Dong

It took over 20 years, but T finally introduced me to an amazing pate chaud place.  I'd been buying pate chaud from 111 Bakery all this time, never knowing how much more awesome pate chaud could be.

Dangit, T!  This is crucial information that you're withholding!

She actually brought me to Vien Dong entirely by accident:


We just so happened to be looking for jackfruit at the Lee's Supermarket next door.  On our way back to the car, T spotted Vien Dong and suddenly "remembered" that they have freakin' awesome pate chaud.

A tiny shop, Vien Dong primarily sells three things: sugar cane juice, banh mi (Vietnamese sandwiches for those who don't know), and pate chaud.  You just walk up to the counter and order what you want:


I know I've been saying pate chaud this and pate chaud that without checking whether people actually know what I'm talking about.  For those who have been confused all this time, meet the pate chaud:


It's essentially a Vietnamese puff pastry.  It is typically stuffed with pork filling, but Vien Dong offers a variety of flavors that also includes sweet options such as durian and taro.

Personally, I'm all about that pork:


When you get it fresh, Vien Dong's pate chaud is mind-blowing.  The puff pastry is so flaky and buttery when you bite into it.  The pork filling is so hot and fragrant and savory.  

And the best part?  It's only $0.70 each.  

Yea.  70 cents.  I'll take two dozen, please.  Take all my cash!

I can't believe this has been in my city all this time and I never knew.  I can't say this enough, but DANGIT, T!


Vien Dong
2893 Senter Rd, Ste B 
San Jose, CA 95111
(408) 599-0052

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!