San Diego: Crack Shack

RW and I decided to stay on for the weekend after our week at the Otay Mesa Detention Center.  While our colleagues headed to the airport, we went downtown.  Luckily for us, RW's friend kindly let us crash at her place while she was out of town.

Once we dropped off our luggage, we headed out to explore.  And by "explore" I meant "find food."  Let's be real.

Our quest led us to the Crack Shack:


You can never have enough carbs, so even though we were getting chicken sandwiches, we couldn't resist adding on some mini biscuits ($5) once we spotted them on the menu:


We were actually most interested in the miso maple butter that came with the biscuits.  In the end, however, both the biscuits and the butter paled in comparison to the stars of the show.

RW got the firebird ($11.50):


The spicy fried chicken thigh sandwich came with ranch, crispy onions, and pickles on a potato roll.

I got the senor croque ($12):


Not spicy at all, this brioche sandwich consisted of crispy chicken, bacon, egg, cheese, and maple butter.  

Those of you who know me know that I'm a bit of a yolk fanatic.  I don't like wasting yolk.  In fact, I prefer to either put the entire yolk in my mouth to avoid any drippage or suck out its life force vampire-style.  The greatest tragedy of my life to date struck when I bit into the senor croque, unintentionally popped the egg, and watched aghast as the egg yolk oozed all over my hand and onto the tray.

Fortunately, I had schmaltz fries ($3 for a regular) to help sop up the yolky mess:


With all that yolk, I really didn't need all the sauces:


Of the baja hot sauce, the curry mustard, the cracksup, and the kimchi BBQ, my favorite was the kimchi BBQ.

Not the cheapest sandwich in town, but certainly very delicious.  The fries were great too.  I wouldn't hesitate to drop by Crack Shack again if I found myself hungry (or even not all that hungry) in San Diego.



Crack Shack
2266 Kettner Blvd
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 795-3299
https://www.crackshack.com/

Comments

Popular Posts

FOLLOW OUR ADVENTURES ON INSTAGRAM!